From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: Javascript additions
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2008 22:33:46 GMT
> At the server, the DOM tree could be pre-processed to check which
> %%styles are used.
> The js could be split in several pieces which, depending on the needed
> styles, would be loaded to the client.

Yes, we have the mechanism for this already with the Resource Requests.

> In some cases it would be feasible to move the preparation block to
> the server. Eg. edit-section links could be added  by the server iso
> the client, DOM manipulation to convert an unordered list into a
> collapsible list could be done in the server, etc.

Yupyup, exactly this kind of stuff I was talking about.  The edit-
section links would be trivial to hide in CSS, if the template for
some reason didn't want to use them.

> I don't think Stripes will change that picture.  It'll sure make
> template writing less complex, but will still need client side
> javascript to achieve certain functionalities. And require us to find
> a good balance between server/client side.

What Stripes is good for is that it will help us to make this
functionality more modular - easier to encapsulate the server-side
and the client-side things.  At the moment, things are pretty
monolithic (though they are nicely separated inside these monolithic
files).

/Janne