From Andrew Jaquith <andrew.jaqu...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Trunk is now open for 2.8 stuff.
Date Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:54:23 GMT
I think we may be reading too much into the ASF guidelines by
recommending we remove @author tags. I know for sure that Apache is
not enforcing this guideline very strictly. For example, look at the
author tags for this source file:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/container/tc5.5.x/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm/JAASCallbackHandler.java

(heh)

I agree with Murray: @author tags are valuable because they help
identify expertise and knowledge associated with particular bits of
code. They are good for "archeology." Removing them would do more harm
than good.

On an upbeat note: congrats to the team, collectively, for the 2.6
release. Onwards and upwards to 2.8! I'm going to check in my first
bits (some auth code refactoring) today.

Andrew