From Andrew Jaquith <andrew.jaqu...@mac.com>
Subject Re: author-tags Was: Trunk is now open for 2.8 stuff.
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:26:26 GMT
If "what's an author?" is the only issue we need to settle, that's
pretty easy.

An "author," it seems to me, is the person (or person) who did the
preponderance of the work initially, or as part of an enhancement. By
"the work," I mean the conception, design, coding, test-case writing
and debugging. That rules out bug-fixing, unless the bug was so gnarly
that it necessitated a gut-rewrite or major refactoring. It also rules
out Javadoc tweaks.

For example: I did a bunch of re-writing on MailUtil about 6 months
ago that added JNDI features, completely re-factored the main
processing methods, and added several private functions. I changed,
touched, and re-wrote 80% of the code. For that reason, I added myself
as an author.

But just as you have, I've also touched many many classes to fix bug
here and there. I can't think of a single case where it seemed
appropriate to add myself as an author.

Thus: if you design, write/enhance code, and write unit tests, you
might be an author. If you fix a bug, you probably aren't.

Andrew