From Murray Altheim <murra...@altheim.com>
Subject Re: sub pages
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 09:53:08 GMT
Janne Jalkanen wrote:
>> Could anyone explain why sub pages are such an important requirement,
>> maybe give an example?
>
> For example, the current WeblogPlugin has to use a very inconvenient way
> of naming pages, creating loads and loads of pages by the same name.
> [...]
> Other typical use case is adding e.g. a "Talk" -page to your page.  In
> some wikis, this is a sub-page of the actual page; in some, it is living
> in a whole separate space. I think it's better to have it as a subpage,
> because once we allow several spaces to exist, you would need sub-spaces
> to accommodate the talk pages...

The big question (for me anyway) is whether to implement this as some
kind of actual hierarchical storage structure, or just via metadata.
The latter would be a heck of a lot simpler, with the only "new" feature
the concept of a "Collection". Collections can of course contain
Collections, ad infinitum (and nausea, for those who prefer flat wiki
structures). Of course, the other question is the URL path, if we still
plan to have the URL mirror the wiki structure -- it doesn't really need
to.

I'm curious as to how you see inheritance (e.g., of ACLs) working.

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record