From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: 2.6.2 final items in
Date Sun, 09 Mar 2008 10:57:09 GMT
> What about having a transition scheme of releasing both a package of
> core plugins using the apache.org package, and the same set of plugins
> (i.e., same exact code) using the jspwiki.org package? This would be
> marked as transitional but permit a migration strategy. Just a thought
> anyway... we could then state that the jspwiki.org "transitional" set
> of plugins would go away with 3.0, but would be available during that
> transition.

The problem isn't with the plugins per se, but it would be with the
fact that all method signatures would change, which breaks binary
compatibility.  org.apache.jspwiki.WikiEngine is a different class
from com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiEngine.

So we would need to release a "compatibility" version of the *entire*
public API, which would pretty much mean a separate release of
JSPWiki.  And I'm not very fond of doing that, as it's extra work.

Note that an Apache-licensed release and Apache-endorsed release are
two different beasts.  We can do the first one without changing the
package names, but we can't do the latter one.

/Janne