From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: Suggestions to facilitate the integration of JSPWiki's engine
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 20:49:02 GMT
> 1) Support specifying a different name or location for filters.xml
> within the classpath. Currently if you set a path in
> jspwiki.properties it always interprets it as an absolute path file
> system. What I want to suggest is to keep the order of search (WEB-INF
> then classpath then file system) even if there is an entry in the
> properties file.

This should be fine - I see no issues with this.

> 2) Make the scanWikiLinks method in WikiEngine public. That way it's
> easier to use this feature from outside the engine to generate lists
> of outgoing or incoming links

I am uncomfortable with this.  I would rather remove methods from
WikiEngine for now than to open new methods.

Using the JSPWikiMarkupParser directly is probably a better option
until we have a better API.

> 3) Support disabling the creation of threads per wiki engine. In our
> case we may have hundredths of wiki engines (or more) at the same time
> and the lucene indexing is done else where anyway. So for performance
> reasons, it would be great to be able to avoid the creation of those
> threads.

This should be pretty easy to do - if you don't need Lucene, write
your own SearchProvider which does not spawn any threads.  You can
even use the BasicSearchProvider, which does not index anything.

So Lucene should not be a problem - and for performance reasons you
probably don't even want to enable it if you have multiple
WikiEngines running anyway.

> 4) Allow creation of external PageProviders and SearchProviders that
> are not in the com.ecyrd.jspwiki packages. Although it's possible to
> use that package in external JARs it would be much cleaner to be able
> to specify your own package in the jspwiki.properties property.

Um.  it is entirely possible already.  You just put in the full class
name (e.g. com.mycompany.jspwiki.ourextensions.OurPageProvider).  If
the class is not found, we'll append "com.ecyrd.jspwiki.providers" in
front of it and try again.

You should never use com.ecyrd.jspwiki for your own packages.

/Janne