From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: JSPWiki 3 design notes
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:01:31 GMT
> The biggest pain point, I suspect is that all of the pages need to
> be examined at startup time. That's an expensive operation. Similar
> to how we run the Lucene indexer in a background thread, an easy
> way to speed up startup would be to initialize the ReferenceManager
> that way, too.

ReferenceManager actually caches its contents to the workdir (the
refmgr.ser), so only the first startup is slow; for the rest we just
deserialize the data.  Variables are also cached.

However, ACLs are not.  And since we do scan through all of the
pages, the missing ACLs cause a refresh of the entire page.  This
would be a relatively low-hanging fruit to grab.

> However, that's probably not the whole answer. It seems to me that
> references (what links to Page X, and what does Page X link to) is
> also something that should properly be stored as page metadata. So,
> that's probably part of the solution too. Certainly, part of the
> plan would be to enable deployers to share page repositories, and
> references would be part of that.

Yes, it would make sense to store this as the page metadata.
However, they're not the only thing which are a problem.

/Janne