From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: JSPWiki 3 design notes
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 16:12:44 GMT
> So you don't see any way of using a JSPWiki 3.0 implementation
> *without* JSR-170?

Exactly.  It would be duplication of work.  And mostly really stupid
work, too, since it would mean reinventing the JSR-170 concepts.

> I'm rather surprised, really. One of the real
> strengths of JSPWiki is that there's a nice, lightweight file
> system implementation too.

The job of the lightweight file system implementation is the job of
the backend, in this case, JSR-170.  It makes a lot of sense to
separate backend (i.e. storage) under a separate API, and where we
now use the WikiPageProvider, we can get far better support by using
JCR.

> If the entry ramp is a complex database

Nobody said anything about complex databases.

I have, over the past year, been writing a lightweight implementation
of JSR-170, which uses a very similar pluggable provider system like
the current WikiPageProvider.  And yes, it ships with a lightweight
file system provider as well.  And no, it does not pass the TCK yet.
And yes, I was planning to offer it as the default JCR Repository for
JSPWiki 3, and yes, users who need HA or scalability can then switch
to Jackrabbit at the flick of a switch.

Murray, calm down.  I wouldn't want to throw away the advantages of
JSPWiki, and I also still do not particularly like databases.

/Janne