From "Christoph Sauer" <sa...@hs-heilbronn.de>
Subject AW: What is the status of the development to support Creole?
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:01:04 GMT
Hi Jorge,

The filter is part of the core code right now, but since I don't have anyone
to maintain it, and it does not fully support Creole 1.0 it is not labelled
as an official feature in the latest stable.

I didn't write the filter, it was done by students for our i3G institute
that now all are employed in companies that do not see the value of wikis
right now. Since they are not using JSPWiki personally therefore they have
probably no motivation to maintain it.

However we are using Creole on all our wikis with this filter. It was tested
thoroughly and has proven to be stable. Therefore I have a strong interest
to maintain the filter. Like Janne and others I would now prefer a native
implementation over the filter. First because it is faster, second because
documents saved in mixed mode are not portable.

The bottom line is that I WILL sooner or later implement a native renderer
for it, if nobody else does. I've worked for more than a year now with
creole and I don't want to go back to JSPWiki markup anymore. I really like
it and it is much easier to convince people to use it because you can say
"it's almost like Wikipedia markup, just without it's inconsistencies" ;-).

However since the filter works fine for us right now I have other more
important issues to work on - mainly operational issues with our
increasingly large base of wiki installations, convincing people that a wiki
is a wiki even if the layout does not look like Wikipedia, and last but not
least - fundraising. Missing funding is actually what keeps me away from
doing the interesting stuff, like a Creole renderer.

Janne, because of the above reasons I've got no problem if you don't want to
have the filter in the core anymore. I am happily maintaining it as a
separate package. Important for me is that the JSPWiki project shows that it
would support Creole if there would be a decent renderer and someone who
actively supports it. And I think that was, and is your message, Janne. I am
very sorry that I am currently not able to provide this.

Jorge, I've added a section know issues to [[JSPWiki:CreolePageFilter]]. All
your mentioned points are know Issues except the Image problem. Did you
check if the you used the right imagePlugin declaration in the properties?

--Christoph

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----