From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: What happened to TitleBlock.jsp?
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:56:57 GMT
> Well, it's not a major change at all and doesn't introduce any
> bugs. It
> is simply the addition of an almost-empty JSP, an addition to CSS
> to by
> default hide it, and one line to Header.jsp.

Adding a new JSP file *is* a major change, as it is a new feature.
2.6.x should be kept stable, and new features should go to the 2.8
branch.

> I can do this and have been doing this for the past year. It's a pain,
> and I'm absolutely certain that this is a very common use case,
> perhaps
> the most common.

If it is common, there will be more people requesting it.  A good
idea might be to start a new enhancement request at issues.apache.org.

If it is a pain, it sounds like our extension mechanism is broken, or
you are using it wrong.  I would like to go deeper into this before
we start panic-slapping patches to see what the root cause really is.

> And yes, I can continue to make this custom modification myself as
> I have
> been.

You should *not* have to keep making a custom modification.  That's
the point of the extension mechanism.

/Janne