From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on authentication changes for JSPWiki 3.0
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:00:21 GMT

> Of course, the current strategy causes problems because it means
> sometimes we need to wire up certain containers in special ways
> (e.g., JBoss). And it's sometimes a deployment hassle. From the
> deployer standpoint, it's probably not very obvious what the
> jspwiki.jaas config file we use does.

Yes, totally agree.  Getting the JAAS configuration right is a pain.

> 2) Get rid of significant chunks of the JAAS login scheme we use,
> and do something a little simpler. I'm thinking, in particular, of
> putting in a very lightweight servlet filter that wraps the
> incoming HttpServletRequest. It would delegate to WikiSession for
> getUserPrincipal() and

The fact that this is how most Stripes users are doing their auth
didn't influence your decision in any way? ;-)

> I don't see too many downsides to this, frankly. Really, this is
> more about the "plumbing" than stuff that would be visible to
> users, deployers or developers not named Andrew.
>
> Thoughts? There's nothing that says we need to wait until 3.0. If
> everyone likes this idea, we could do it in 2.8.

I think this sounds pretty good.  I've never been much of a fan of
JAAS, since it adds all sorts of weirdosities - I have to admit that
all those Callbacks sound very strange to me, when you're used to
simplicity of Beans.

/Janne