From Murray Altheim <murra...@altheim.com>
Subject Re: What happened to TitleBlock.jsp?
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2008 23:35:12 GMT
Dirk Frederickx wrote:
> I  don't see the limitations of the current TitlePage versus a jsp-page:
> You can do any kind of formatting in a wiki-page, also complicated
> text and graphics.

That's simply not true. You can only do wiki text-based formatting, which
is a significant difference. A JSP obviously permits *anything* to be
accomplished by a web site designer. Wiki text does not. As for "complicated"
text and graphics, you know as well as I do that there is a very big
difference between what's possible in a JSP vs. wiki text and CSS. You can't
do "any kind of formatting" that way and I think it's disingenuous to state
otherwise.

> For more sophisticated stuff (news-feeds) why not use or write a plugin,.
> You have the excellent ACL system of jspwiki to hand-over the
> edit-rights of this page to anyone of your choice, even to non-admins.

I don't want to hand over edit rights to anyone, even admins. We need to
be able to design a title block. That's not possible using wiki text or
the current CSS-based approaches, and we distinctly do *not* want to do
this via plugin because that would permit people to either remove the
plugin or use it inappropriately on other places on the site.

The appropriate approach to this is simply a JSP.

> When writing a plugin is not an option,  and you do want to revert to
> JSP, then modifying the template seems like a perfect solution for
> you.
> The current template and css contain all the hooks you need.

Yes, there are hooks. I have been having to use those hooks to make
custom modifications to each of my sites every time I do an upgrade,
and I would dearly like to be able to not have to do that. I've been
doing it for over a year and I don't want to do it until 2.8 comes out.
It is a pain.

> An extra JSP seems overflow to me.
>
> my 2 cents
> dirk
>

> -1

+1

I can't believe I have to argue about this in this manner. There is
no comparison in functionality between the current approach and using
a JSP, and that is obvious to anyone in this forum.

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record