From Simon Kitching ...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: Fwd: package names (was Re: PLEASE READ: package names, trademarks and legal advice)
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:50:25 GMT
Hi Janne et. al.,

While it is not possible for code to be released from an incubator
project, I see no reason why code cannot be developed in apache svn but
released by the jspwiki.org project.

I would therefore suggest that:
1) the code be imported into apache svn
2) the licensing be changed, but NOT the packagenames
3) a 2.8.0 release be made from the jspwiki.org site, as a jspwiki.org
release, using the code taken from the apache svn. This release will be
under the Apache license, but with the existing packagenames and stating
that it is a jspwiki.org product, not an ASF product (ie NOTICE etc
refer to jspwiki.org or ecyrd).
4) then the packagenames can be changed in apache svn, NOTICE updated,
promotion from incubator to full project can happen, and a 3.0 ASF
release of the code can be made.

With this approach:
(a) work can be done in the asf repository, using asf procedures, asf
mailing lists etc. This will provide evidence of the community necessary
for promotion from the incubator. The jspwiki.org cvs should be frozen
at the time of import into apache svn, so there is only one "active"
repository.
(b) the move to ASF doesn't block release of a jspwiki 2.8.0 release.
That release cannot be made under the ASF name, but that doesn't matter.

Even 2.8.1 etc. can be developed in the asf repo, as long as it is
released by jspwiki.org not jspwiki.apache.org.

The fact that the released code is not in the org.apache namespace
doesn't matter, because it is not an ASF release.

*Note that this is just my opinion*. The project mentor/incubator PMC
are the ones who would have to ok this.

Regards,

Simon (skitching@apache.org; ASF member, but not incubator pmc)