From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JSPWiki 2.6.0 release
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:18:14 GMT
Hi Murray,

Distributions of Apache projects must follow this guidance: http://
people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

JUnit uses the Common Public License which is an Apache Category B
license, suitable for distribution by an Apache project as a binary.

If an Apache project uses LGPL libraries, it must not distribute
them. And although it's not an absolute rule, a project that uses
LGPL won't graduate from incubation.

Craig

On Nov 26, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Murray Altheim wrote:

> Janne Jalkanen wrote:
> [...]
>> The question is: who can commit time to fix our web unit tests
>> using whatever they fancy, if we consider that to be the only
>> blocking factor for 2.6 release?  If the answer involves any of
>> the words "nobody", "christmas", or "holiday", I'm going to a)
>> scream, and b) release.  May be sloppy, but really - our webtests
>> are in a really, really awful shape.
>
> Janne,
>
> I suppose one question is permitted from the ignorant: I realize
> Apache
> wants everything to be Apache-licensed, but LGPL is hardly a problem
> license. Is there a *hard* requirement that everything released as
> part
> of an Apache software project be *all* Apache-licensed? I.e., is it
> possible we could continue to use JUnit? It's what we all know and if
> we were able to put any time into fixing unit tests I'd personally
> rather invest that time into fixing tests than learning Yet Another
> Software Package. Another alternative (at least for the interim) is
> that
> we continue to use JUnit but not include those files in the Apache
> distribution. If that's possible it would give us a window at least.
>
> Murray

> Murray Altheim <murray07 at altheim.com>
> ===  = =
> http://www.altheim.com/murray/
> = =  ===
> SGML Grease Monkey, Banjo Player, Wantanabe Zen Monk
> = =  = =
>
>       Boundless wind and moon - the eye within eyes,
>       Inexhaustible heaven and earth - the light beyond light,
>       The willow dark, the flower bright - ten thousand houses,
>       Knock at any door - there's one who will respond.
>                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!