From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JIRA notifications
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:16:10 GMT
Hi Janne,

On Oct 29, 2007, at 11:35 AM, Janne Jalkanen wrote:

> Arg, wrong list originally...
>

>> In other projects, I've seen a lot of discussion on jirs issues
>> that is usefully seen by the developer community. Features as well
>> as bugs can be discussed on jira and it's useful to have everyone
>> see the discussion.
>>
>> That said, I'm not committed to any particular strategy. Just
>> looking to make sure we build a strong community here and using
>> jira for communication in conjunction with email lists should help.
>
> Well...  My immediate reaction to those JIRA "comment edited" mails
> was "SPAM!  GET OUT OF MY INBOX!"  I guess working in an
> organization where email and powerpoint are the main tools of
> communication, resulting in serious email overload, does that to you.

I also get hundreds of emails a day and I've learned how to tune out
messages not of interest. But I have no objection to tuning the
policy for this project.

> I toned down the policy somewhat so it's not that chatty anymore.
> I'm worried that people will escape from jspwiki-dev if all they
> see is JIRA talking to itself.

No problem. When a project is just starting, it might make sense to
"overcommunicate" but I have no issues with tuning the notifications
to achieve a balance.

So I won't tweak anything for a while and we can see how others react.

Craig

> Looking at other notification schemes it looks to me that there are
> three main policies in use:
> * All to xxx-dev
> * All to xxx-commits
> * Created/Resolved/Closed to -dev. (e.g. INFRAREQ)
>
> /Janne

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!