From Robert Vesse <>
Subject Re: Carrying raw query strings (public API change).
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:08:06 GMT
The primary motivation of this is that if like us you are intercepting queries and providing
your own processing you have no visibility back to the original query string since at the
level of QueryExecutionFactory and query execution you have only a Query object and an algebra

In our architecture queries may be very long running so we have a queue into which we give
users visibility but right now we can only show them the serialized form of their parsed query.
 Due to the nice syntax printing and possible optimization ARQ does on the query that serialized
form may look very different and users are confused
by this.

The ability to preserve comments is of particular interest because we may want to use comments
as a means to tag queries to indicate where they originated from.  Right now the only other
mechanism that would let us do this would be to define a fake prefix which encodes this (perhaps
with tag URLs) but that only covers one use case and still doesn't allow us to preserve more
free form description of the queries in the form of comments.

On Apr 10, 2012, at 1:06 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 10/04/12 01:15, wrote:
>> Author: rvesse
>> Date: Tue Apr 10 00:15:25 2012
>> New Revision: 1311528
>> Log:
>> Adding ability to preserve the raw query string in a Query object which is useful
for applications which need to inspect the original user input (e.g. for comments etc).
> Rob,
> Could you provide some context for this?
> (I wonder if this is the best way of handling comments, especially ones at the start
of the query.)
> 	Andy

View raw message