From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Do we need a release manager? (Was: TDB: release process)
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 12:31:20 GMT
On 2 February 2012 10:51, Paolo Castagna <> wrote:
> On the other hand, I think for a project, in particular at the beginning,
> it is good to have one "release manager" (who can change/rotate with time).

Most projects I know about do not define a formal release manager
role. What happens is someone decides they need a new release, appoint
themselves as RM for that release and get on with it.

> The questions I have are:
>  - does Apache Jena has a release manager?

>  - do we need one?

It a complex process, someone has to lead it, so yes.

>  - how/when we decide it's time to release a module?
>  - how often do we want to roll-out releases?

Two approaches I can see:

- project states it will (aim to?) release every x months
- project states it will release whenever someone curs a release

The first can only really work is someone has resources they will
commit to delivering that release come rain or shine.

For this reason I prefer the second. In the second model you make it
clear that *anyone* can cut a release and call the vote. They don't
need to be committers. So if someone needs a new release they just get
on with doing it.

View raw message