From Leo Simons <>
Subject Re: Do we need a release manager? (Was: TDB: release process)
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:25:32 GMT
Hey folks,

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Andy Seaborne <> wrote:
> On 02/02/12 12:31, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> On 2 February 2012 10:51, Paolo Castagna<>
>>> On the other hand, I think for a project, in particular at the beginning,
>>> it is good to have one "release manager" (who can change/rotate with
>>> time).
>> Two approaches I can see:
>> - project states it will (aim to?) release every x months
>> - project states it will release whenever someone curs a release
>> The first can only really work is someone has resources they will
>> commit to delivering that release come rain or shine.
> We have a poor track record on finishing things to a schedule. :-)
> At the moment, its unrealistic without people having ongoing committed
> day-job time.
>> For this reason I prefer the second. In the second model you make it
>> clear that *anyone* can cut a release and call the vote. They don't
>> need to be committers. So if someone needs a new release they just get
>> on with doing it.
> I prefer the second.  Actually, I though that was the project way because
> Leo described it awhile back and no one pushed back or commented on it.

Meritocracy. It is important to apache projects that the people doing
the work get to make the decisions. For example, if a few people wrote
a bunch of code that is ready to put into the hands of users,
unavailability of a certain person or resource must not be put in the
way. Apache-style, anyone that does the work and gets enough votes can
push a release. I hope that's what I explained.

However, consensus. If a project decides to do things differently
(assigning a release manager role for a longer period of time, for
example), they can do so. That's another variant of meritocracy -- you
guys are doing the work on jena so you get to decide to a pretty large
degree how to run the project and you will get leeway from apache to
do so.

Consensus. Meritocracy. Balance 'em.

You've heard your mentors say a few times now that you are ready to
graduate (where's that resolution folks? *nudge nudge get it done* ;-)
), which is a way of saying that y'all understand enough of what
matters most to apache to come up with a reasonable approach that also
fits the way you want to work.

Me personally (as opposed to me playing Mentor), if I was doing lots
of jena coding, I would near-insist on someone else driving the
release process the next time, just to check that the documented
procedure is complete, without any undocumented gotchas. But that's
got nothing to do with how things should or should not be done
apache-style, that's just engineering practices, and apache definitely
imposes *no* rules about those!

View raw message