From Leo Simons <>
Subject Re: FreeMarker license
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 08:04:37 GMT
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Andy Seaborne <> wrote:
> Dear Mentors (mainly),
> Before going to legal@ or LEGAL-, I'd like to get advice about this license.
>  The objective is to redistribute the binary in the Fuseki server jar.

Struts has redistributed freemarker for years. I think other projects,
too. I just looked at the license. It should be fine. I think a LEGAL
jira to get it officially added to the list of ok stuff is fine but I
wouldn't wait for the resolution.

> The server jar is a single jar of all the binaries combined.  You can run
> Fuseki with "java -jar OneJar".  So it's unpacking the original binary and
> repacking in a combined jar.
> Question: is it worth even pursuing this route?

Well, since you ask, personally I'd say not so much ;).

Anyone used to java will be used to zip files with batch files in them.

Anyone not used to java will not be used to running jar files.

If you want to be really user-friendly, I think your best bet is to
provide 'native' installers (.msi, .rpm, .deb, .dmg) that check java
is installed (and compatible), install stuff as a service, provide
shortcuts, etc. I couldn't tell you what the state of the art for
accomplishing such a trick is these days since I haven't done it in a
long time, but it used to be pretty easy with java service wrapper and
ant. Does java web start still work? :)

View raw message