From Ian Dickinson <>
Subject Re: Fwd: [DISCUSS] - Packages renaming and backward compatibility
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:13:25 GMT
On 29/02/12 12:05, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> A discussion on general@i
> It will resolve whether we have to repackage Jena to graduate.
It's not just the repackaging. Some of the more astringent commenters
are "shocked" that even having compatibility packages and classes (i.e
not under org.apache) in a TLP has ever been allowed. So depending on
how the vote goes, we could be forced to remove all mention of com.hp.*
from the code base, and host the compatibility layer packages somewhere

The problem that gives us is that all the references out there to Jena -
code samples, presentations, articles, papers, tutorials and even books
will be instantly out of date. The discussion on general@ has the tenor
of "well, it's Cloudera's problem so let them sort it out" but that's
not true for Jena. It's not HP's problem!

If we have to re-name packages to graduate, so be it that's not really a
big deal**. If we have to completely expunge all mention of com.hp.*,
that would be at the very least disappointing.

** Well, it'll take some work to get the site docs and Javadoc in line
with the packages.

View raw message