From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: FreeMarker license
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:23:58 GMT
On 22/02/12 13:49, Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
> Stanbol is using freemarker as well. To satisfy the license condition
> I think the notice file must contain an acknowledgement in the notice
> file and the license in the license file.
> Reto

Reto -

That's useful to know.  Do you happen to know if the license has been
checked with legal?

I couldn't find anything but a few projects mention FreeMarker (haven't
had a chance to see if they redistribute, recombine or use by

While they explain it's a "BSD-style license", there are novel clauses

Dave has explained how he uses Velocity so I'll have a go with just
using the engine.  It might be quicker!

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Andy Seaborne<>  wrote:
>> On 22/02/12 12:59, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>> The 4-clause BSD license does not seem to appear on
>>> at all. So I think you need
>>> to go to legal.
>> Thanks - and it's not 4 clause BSD in the usual sense.  It's their license,
>> it is vaguely BSD as they claim but it's a different 4 clauses.
>>> I confess that I don't understand the problem with JSP pages in the
>>> first place. All the pieces you need are either Apache or Eclipse in
>>> my experience.
>> Jetty uses Glassfish to get it's JSP code and, eventually, CDDL (?). And you
>> end up shipping ecj.  That said, the whole Jasper trail is quite confusing.
>>   The licensing needs tracking down because it's redistribution, not just use
>> of.
>> It may be possible to pick out of the Tomcat code, but the packaging seemed
>> to lead me to Tomcat specific code eventually.  Switching wholesale to
>> embedded Tomcat is possible, but quite a lot larger than embedded Jetty
>> (extra 3-4Mbytes in 15M).
>> But I'm not a fan of JSPs anyway so this is an opportunity to not have them
>> at all.
>>         Andy

View raw message