From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: FreeMarker license
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:25:07 GMT
On 22/02/12 12:59, Benson Margulies wrote:
> The 4-clause BSD license does not seem to appear on
> at all. So I think you need
> to go to legal.

Thanks - and it's not 4 clause BSD in the usual sense.  It's their
license, it is vaguely BSD as they claim but it's a different 4 clauses.

> I confess that I don't understand the problem with JSP pages in the
> first place. All the pieces you need are either Apache or Eclipse in
> my experience.

Jetty uses Glassfish to get it's JSP code and, eventually, CDDL (?).
And you end up shipping ecj.  That said, the whole Jasper trail is quite
confusing.  The licensing needs tracking down because it's
redistribution, not just use of.

It may be possible to pick out of the Tomcat code, but the packaging
seemed to lead me to Tomcat specific code eventually.  Switching
wholesale to embedded Tomcat is possible, but quite a lot larger than
embedded Jetty (extra 3-4Mbytes in 15M).

But I'm not a fan of JSPs anyway so this is an opportunity to not have
them at all.

View raw message