From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject FreeMarker license
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:52:04 GMT
Dear Mentors (mainly),

Before going to legal@ or LEGAL-, I'd like to get advice about this
license.  The objective is to redistribute the binary in the Fuseki
server jar.

The server jar is a single jar of all the binaries combined.  You can
run Fuseki with "java -jar OneJar".  So it's unpacking the original
binary and repacking in a combined jar.

Question: is it worth even pursuing this route?

The license is at:

it is BSD...ish.  It has 4 clauses:

1 - the BSD clause about source code distribution.

2 - The binary redistribution clause is replaced by one needing either
acknowledge in end-user documention or acknowledgement "in the software
in the normal place"

3 - No endorsement by using the name FreeMarker.

4 - Name protection clause.

Their copyright date is out of date :-)  They released in 2011.

Plan B1 is use Velocity but that seems to need an external file and has
issues with unnecessary dependencies.

Plan B2 is to use StringTemplate which is 3-clause BSD.  But it's not
quite up to date in maven central (4.0.2 vs 4.0.5).

Velocity : I didn't find out how to control velocity without an external
file like tools.xml; to use velocity-tools I either ended up with a lot
of extra stuff, or had to tune the maven excludes to avoid pulling in
struts (this is fixed in Velocity tools 2.1 but it's not out yet and
Fuseki needs non-snapshots to release with).   I may revisit this if I
have time.

View raw message