From Paolo Castagna <>
Subject Do we need a release manager? (Was: TDB: release process)
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 10:51:35 GMT

Andy Seaborne wrote:
> On 02/02/12 08:34, Paolo Castagna wrote:
>> Hi Andy
>>> No plan whatsoever.  I am at the limit of the number of things I can
>>> manage.  I was hoping you would deal with LARQ.
>> Ack. I know you are busy.
> It is not about me being busy.  I should not be the only do doing releases.

Apache projects often have a "release manager", the "A Guide To Release
Management During Incubation (DRAFT)" [1] often refers to the notion of
"release manager".

I do agree that Andy should not be the only one doing releases.

Everybody should be able to do so and having someone else being able to do
releases is IMHO very important. We have some guidelines for this [2] and
I am sure they'll improve as we become more used to the process.

On the other hand, I think for a project, in particular at the beginning,
it is good to have one "release manager" (who can change/rotate with time).

The questions I have are:

 - does Apache Jena has a release manager?
 - do we need one?
 - how/when we decide it's time to release a module?
 - how often do we want to roll-out releases?

View raw message