From Leo Simons <>
Subject Re: Thinking about graduation
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 13:50:08 GMT
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Andy Seaborne <> wrote:
>> What else do you folks think you need to learn about apache before you
>> are ready to graduate out of the incubator into your own PMC?
> There is one matter to do still - the code is java-packaged under
> "com.hp.hpl.jena" and a small amount of "org.openjena".

Ah. That's perhaps not *strictly* an incubation thing :)

If I were you and I wanted to change package name (*) I would perhaps
do something like

- release TDB and/or LARQ since it sounds like those are about ready
- start graduating
- handle post-board-vote graduation stuff
-- move mailing lists and website, etc
- release a 2.7.1 with some bugfixes and without incubation disclaimer
-- make sure this release announces to users package names will change for 3.0
- branch for 3.x
- change package names
- fiddle fiddle fiddle
- release a 3.0 with changed package name(s)
- release a 2.7.2 as an intended 'final' release of 2.x

The thing with graduation is, it takes a lot longer than releasing
:-). You need a bunch of votes, and then the board have to pass a
resolution during their concall, which happens once a month (and if
you're *really* unlucky you could bumped off of the agenda and have to
wait a month), and then there's admin work after that. I would
definitely not want to (need to) synchronize that administrative
process with the work of building a 3.x.

But if you think another ordering is better for some reason that's
fine too. No rush :)

(*) if I was me, I probably wouldn't change the package name, and stay
on 2.x, unless I was doing a major backwards-incompatible revision of
the API anyway

View raw message