From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: Jena Incubation Report - Feb 2012
Date Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:08:28 GMT
On 21/01/12 21:03, Ross Gardler wrote:
> The key take away from the reports discussions is to ensure you address
> community development issues and demonstrate a plan for moving towards
> graduation.
> Jena reports have been doing this since day one.
> The only improvement I cab see (other than those suggested by Ian) is to
> indicate how much code had not been released, why and when it will be. I
> know this is partly covered already, but it might be good to be clearer
> since your mentors are pushing for graduation.
> Ross
> On Jan 21, 2012 8:24 PM, "Ian Dickinson"<>  wrote:
>> On 21/01/12 17:47, Andy  wrote:
>>> [...]
>> Looks good.
>>   The project has successive produced a release.
>> s/successive/successfully/
>> Also, do we want to be more precise about which components have been
>> released, since one of the plan items is to release further subsystems.
>> We could also mention that most support traffic is now via
>> jena-users@apache, with very little flowing through Yahoo groups.
>> There has been a lot of discussion about better podling reports on the
>> Incubator general list. I must admit I haven't bothered to trawl through
>> all of it. Mentors, are there any takeaways from that discussion that might
>> bear on this month's report?
>> Ian

Good sugegstions.  It didn't occur to me that partial release might not
count as "have done a release".  A partial involves the process but not
the formal review of content.

I didn't include anything about our technical plans, assuming the board
is not really interested.  Having read other projects reports, I see
descriptions of technical work and I have no real idea what they are
talking about as they need project context.

Revised wording below:

Jena is a semantic web framework in Java that implements
the key W3C recommendations for the core semantic web technologies of

Jena entered incubation in November 2010.

The project is discussing graduation.

Progress since the last report:
* The project has voted for a new committer and IPMC member for the
   This is the second person since the start of incubation.

* The project has successfully produced a release.
   The first incubator release included the system core
   but not all the modules. TDB is in active development
   and is only now ready for release.

* Redirections placed at both old websites to point to the Apache
incubator website for Apache Jena.

* About 20 JIRA items have been resolved since the last report.

* Users email traffic on old, non-Apache lists continues to decline.

Issues for the Incubator PMC or ASF Board:
* None.

* Graduation preparation
   (checking, drafting the scope/charter, resolution, chair, more checking)
* There are no technical or infrastructure items blocking graduation.
* Releases of further subsystems: TDB, Fuseki, LARQ.

View raw message