From Leo Simons <>
Subject Re: Pre-release trial run.
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 16:48:22 GMT
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Andy Seaborne <> wrote:
> I'm more than happy to try to get the details right - I'm not aiming to
> merely meet the minimum necessary requirements but to do the "right thing"
> now.  We're learning.

Uhuh. I think that's true for just about every project out there --
you can bet your ass that 10 years ago, apache released a lot of
software that didn't follow all of these (most of these?) current
guidelines. I think as the FLOSS movement matures, we are learning how
to do this better and better. A few more years and someone will figure
out how to automate it properly :)

> I guess all of us use maven (or etc) dependency management

Well, hmm, so, I tend to have to use maven for work java projects, but
I will avoid it like the plague when I can [1]. I'm a minority like
that I guess (I also refuse to use eclipse, for example). I decided to
go from "knows lots about ant and maven" to "claims not to know
anything about maven" a while ago, it's much more comfortable that

> but it's a real barrier for people starting out with
> Java, semantic web all at the same time, and not just students doing
> projects.  Ditto people who use the command line tools.

Yeah I totally agree. Having something where you can go 1) download,
2) import some N3, 3) write sparql queries is pretty vital. When I got
started with RDF so many years ago I'm pretty sure having a nice phat
jena distro made me very happy.

- Leo

[1] my idea of a good build system is

View raw message