From Paolo Castagna <>
Subject Re: Help with parent POMs
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2011 08:08:36 GMT
Hi Benson

Benson Margulies wrote:
> Putting repos in all the poms would be viewed as evil by many,
> including me. Code moves, but released poms are forever.

Which is more evil: having a duplicate <repositories> section
in each of the modules (with at least the Apache snapshots
repository) or requiring everybody wanting to checkout and
mvn package a Jena module to put the <repositories> section
in their settings.xml?

I think making life of potential committers as easy as possible
it's more important: svn co ... + mvn package.

Another option is not to have the JenaTop parent pom.xml as
SNAPSHOT dependency and use only JenaTop parents from Maven
Central. This has the consequence that when a change in the
JenaTop parent pom.xml is needed, we need to push it out to
Maven Central as quick as possible. Not a situation I would
recommend, in particular at the beginning when changes to
the JenaTop parent still happen.

> I'm sure by now you've realized the technical situation: since the
> repo is declared in a parent the parent, that declaration is not
> available when locating the parent in the first place (unless it is in
> setting.xml).

Or in the module's pom.xml itself.

Little duplication for us (to maintain, I am happy to do the
maintenance for that, I do not expect to change in the next
few years!), no action required by anyone else in the Jena
team or any future curios developer wanting to compile a Jena

My 2 cents,

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Andy Seaborne <> wrote:
>>> Does adding a<repositories>  section in each of the modules help?
>>> Maven cannot retrieve the parent pom.xml file from Maven Central
>>> (which is the only repository available before retrieving the
>>> parent pom itself).
>> Ah - good point.  They are in the Apache POM which is jena-top's parent.
>> Adding them to settings.xml causes things to work.  My bad.
>>> It's not ideal because of the repetition, but if it works would be
>>> not that bad (Apache Maven repositories are not going to change).
>> Could do - there's <repositories> in TDB and Fuseki currently which current
>> use the staged artifacts for testing.
>>> My 2 cents,
>>> Paolo
>>        Thanks,