From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: Pre-release trial run.
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:19:21 GMT
On 07/12/11 08:33, Leo Simons wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 1:24 AM, Benson Margulies<>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Leo Simons<>  wrote:
>>> More legal stuff...on reproducing licenses and notices....
>> Since The Official Release is the source, and the binary releases are
>> 'just for convenience', do we really need to apply all the same
>> fine-tooth-comb treatment?
> Of course! A lot of open source licensing is about "things you have to
> do when you (re)distribute".
> In a binary release with libraries inside, apache is (re)distributing
> those libraries, so those license terms kick in, and we simply have to
> follow them. And a lot of the obligation that comes with those
> licenses is about reproducing licenses and notices.
> The only alternative is not to redistribute those libraries, which
> puts the burden of figuring out the legal mess on the user (and so
> makes the binary "less convenient" for them!).
> Finally, do remember that _normally_ you would update the binary
> release LICENSE and NOTICE when you updated its build scripts to
> include another dependency, so this painful legal cleanup/scrubbing
> should really be a once-only event.

I'm more than happy to try to get the details right - I'm not aiming to
merely meet the minimum necessary requirements but to do the "right
thing" now.  We're learning.

Jena has historically shipped with dependencies, originally (10 years
ago) because that was the only practical way to get the stuff to the
users.  The simple act of putting the right versions of the software
into the users hands was been quite important. Getting the classpath set
correctly is another matter ...

Nowadays, because public maven, or even maven, isn't for everyone, it's
still useful to deliver the bundle.  I guess all of us use maven (or
etc) dependency management but it's a real barrier for people starting
out with Java, semantic web all at the same time, and not just students
doing projects.  Ditto people who use the command line tools.

So I appreciate the fine tooth combing.  At the moment I'm on the
receiving end of formal public comments on specs as SPARQL goes through
the later stages of W3C process, and the comments there are not
necessarily as supportive as here.

View raw message