From Simon Helsen <>
Subject Re: What are the JIRA issues to fix before a release?
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 19:55:54 GMT

I am not sure what are you trying to say with your message here. I realize
that open source projects don't come for free. I also realize that not all
bugs get fixed either. However, the existence and viability of open source
is based on a mutual benefit of the parties involved (see [3]) and I think
you are seeing benefits from my testing work. IBM has a long history in
supporting open source initiatives wherever appropriate and possible,
whether this is something like the Eclipse Foundation or the Apache
Foundation itself (with countless donations and being a gold sponsor).
This support benefits you probably at this very moment, e.g. if you are
developing in Eclipse.

In this particular instance (i.e. Jena), we are extensively testing new
TxTDB code and providing feedback. We may or may not adopt it, depending
on the outcome of our tests (and a bunch of other factors of course), so
this feedback may not even benefit us. The problems I am running into will
almost certainly come back to you. We are just providing early discovery
and I do what I can to help get them resolved. I am pressing for them to
be resolved because if they are not, it is going to be a pain for me to
adopt it because of the enormous time it takes to adopt just about
anything open-source related in IBM. We have lawyers literally going over
all the code and we cannot decide on short notice to upgrade or adopt a
new version of any project like this. It just doesn't work like that. I
looked at [2] and I am not sure what you are missing?

I also respect the work done in Jena and I wish I could leverage more
resources, but those are not my decisions. If we do end up adopting, I may
be able to convince my line management to invest more (including more time
for myself as well as perhaps hiring the services of certain companies
involved with Jena). We analyze these things constantly.

You have a nice weekend as well,

PS: on a Friday night, I would probably not even work on [1], but I hope
that on a Monday morning [4] becomes an interesting challenge in achieving
"consistently high quality software " as pointed out in [5] under

Paolo Castagna <>
11/04/2011 03:06 PM
Re: What are the JIRA issues to fix before a release?

on a side note (it's Friday evening here, so maybe now I'll be doing
"fun" [1]), it's great to report bugs and provide feedback in general.

I do sometimes report bugs to open source projects I use. If I am able, I
a patch, but I do not pretend or assume that just because I reported a
bug, the
bug will be fixed. It's does not work like that. It depends on individuals
here in Apache we are all individuals.

The "getting involved" [2] page on the Apache Jena website tries to show
the path: submit bug reports/feedback >> use the SNAPSHOTs to stay on the
bleeding edge >> checkout the sources and get used to it >> look around at
other open issues >> find something you care about or like and submit a
(repeat, repeat, ...) >> engage with other committers more >> learn more
Apache and how it works >> ...

One of the principle in Apache is "meritocracy: literally, government by
[3]. I think it's a good one, one I believe in.

Have a nice week-end,