From Stephen Allen <>
Subject Consolidate "spillOnDiskSortingThreshold" and "spillOnDiskUpdateThreshold"?
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 19:59:03 GMT

I am working on JENA-119, and wanted to get some feedback on an external
user-facing change.

I'd like to consolidate the "spillOnDiskSortingThreshold",
"spillOnDiskUpdateThreshold", and any potential future
"spillOnDisk*Threshold" parameters into a single variable.  Separate
symbols for each operator does not seem to scale well, we could potentially
have about 10 different operations that would require a setting.  Also I
don't think that a user will really have a good notion of what to set it to.

I propose the name "workCount" for the variable.  I picked this because it
captures the idea of storing that many items (mostly bindings) in memory as
a count.  In the future I think we would want something like "workMem" to
specify the amount of memory each operator can use rather than the count of
the items.  I have a mild aversion to "spillToDiskThreshold", as I think it
might focus too much on the implementation details, and does not indicate
what it's units of measurement are (count vs. memory size).  But I want to
know your opinions.  Since this is a user-facing change, we want to make
sure to get it right the first time, as it will be hard to change later.

So two questions:
1) Should I consolidate the parameters?
2) Is "workCount" a good name?