From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Git mirrors for Jena projects
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 07:17:25 GMT
On 7 November 2011 15:33, Damian Steer <> wrote:
> On 7 Nov 2011, at 23:14, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> On 07/11/11 16:19, Damian Steer wrote:
>>> +1. I agree that this would make life easier for external contributors
>>> (although they could use the excellent git svn). Managing development
>>> is a pain when you can't commit. Its merging is also much more
>>> pleasant, a significant factor if you've branched from a live code base.
>> Minor point -- external contributors need to be aware they can't push contributions
(something for the "getting involved" page?)
> The apache page [1] Alex mentioned is pretty good. For people using github we ought to
mention that we won't respond to pull requests.

The use of Git in ASF projects is something that is still being
explored. There are significant potential issues with respect to
community development where Git is employed.

However, the project needs to be very careful. Git should not be seen
as an alternative to bringing committers into the project. The goal is
to get people working directly on the code as a core part of the
project. Git is often used to facilitate people working in isolation
of the broader community.

That being said, Git does provide some advantages. Go ahead and
request the mirrors, but don't allow Git workflows to become a
replacement for bringing people into the project at the earliest
sensible opportunity.

> [1] <>

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)