From Leo Simons <>
Subject Re: Missing NOTICE Information?
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 21:22:39 GMT
Hey Paolo,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Paolo Castagna
<> wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
>> I think in this specific case none of our committers are acting on
>> behalf of HP (working at different companies now and the like), so the
>> copyright notices should be moved into the NOTICE file. For a
>> particularly nice example, see
>>    Portions of Apache Harmony were originally developed by
>>    Intel Corporation and are licensed to the Apache Software
>>    Foundation under the "Software Grant and Corporate Contribution
>>    License Agreement" and for which the following copyright notices
>>    apply
>>             (C) Copyright 2005 Intel Corporation
>>             (C) Copyright 2005-2006 Intel Corporation
>>             (C) Copyright 2006 Intel Corporation
>> I suggest using the above as a template. You can be pretty sure a
>> whole bunch of lawyers will have looked at that one :-)
> In the case of LARQ this is what I did (and moved on with life).
> """
> Apache Jena - LARQ module
> Copyright 2011 The Apache Software Foundation
> This product includes software developed at
> The Apache Software Foundation (
> Portions of this software were originally based on the following:
>  - Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
>  - Copyright 2010 Epimorphics Ltd.
>  - Copyright 2010 Talis Information Ltd.
>  - Copyright 2010, 2011 Talis Systems Ltd.

Sorry, but that's not what I said. Be careful :-)

Dennis pointed out that there used to be HP copyright notices and that
they are now gone.

So I pointed out the rules which explain that you cannot remove third
party copyright notices completely (if you _are_ or _are representing_
a party, you can, but that means you are, err, 2nd party, not third
party), but you can and should move them to the NOTICE file.

You should NOT be adding any copyright notices for 3rd parties where
those notices were not there previously.

So unless these notices above were at some point in the LARQ source
code, they should not be in the NOTICE file.

View raw message