From Ian Dickinson <>
Subject Re: Request to volunteer to update documentation
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 00:24:51 GMT
On 23/11/11 00:17, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> A little more.  Someplace in the build-bot staging HTML is generated.
> I believe you can embed HTML in the mdtext also.
Yes, that is correct.

> I am not clear how much of the final page is static and how much is
> generated on demand in response to access to the pages.
It's all static. The mdtext -> html conversion is run by buildbot when
the pages are committed to svn.

> This reminds me of one problem of this model for the sake of having
> an ASF-friendly management and oversight structure.  It makes it
> difficult for an author to preview their work without creating
> patches and waiting to see what happens.
What you do in this case is install the CMS tools locally:

I work by checking out the source locally, and running the markdown
daemon on my system. It's also possible to edit in-place using the CMS
bookmarklets, but that requires commit access to the svn. For
non-committers, the best way is to make edits locally, generate a patch,
and submit it to Jira.

Ian Dickinson                   Epimorphics Ltd, Bristol, UK
cell: +44-7786-850536              landline: +44-1275-399069
Epimorphics Ltd.  is a limited company registered in England
(no. 7016688). Registered address: Court Lodge, 105 High St,
               Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT, UK

View raw message