From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: JenaDist
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 22:15:23 GMT

I'm confused - could you explain how this would be used in our release?

When I looked at the weekend, it seemed to be building a zip file by
using dependences.  That made sense to me - each project is made (using
-Papache-release to get the required "source-release" artifacts - these
are the gold zips that the vote is actually on.  The jars and
distributions are secondary; they just happen to be what people actually
use).  We now have all the bytes in the maven repo.

Then run JenaDist to repacked these bytes into a zip file so people
aren't forced to use maven to get Jena.

Now JenaDist seems to be building jars - which means the jars are
different from those places in "source-release" artifacts.

I didn't get anything I understood from -Papache-release (it has
duplicate files).  -Papache-release produces the master file with
classifier "source-release" which is the thing that is technically released. is 16849 bytes.

As this is basically a one-shot release (or at least a few), my
understanding from looking at the weekend was that by using
dependencies, we got the jars we needed (the same jars as the build of
each project produced - they have build timestamps burnt into them), and
then if there were a bash script before hand that copies in the other
files (e.g. release notes for each module)  and then run maven to
assembly the thing nicely.  OK - it's not beautiful but it ships exactly
the bytes of the other project's builds.  "sources" can be done crudely
if you don't get a response from maven-users@

By the way - if you use <finalName> in an assembly plugin, then
"install" it, the name changes:

I see this:

[INFO] Installing

but as RAT produces file jena-dist-2.6.5-incubating*

I gave up trying to produce anything other than a zip with the artifact
name.  <finalName> is only useful if you don't install.

View raw message