From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: Jena IP Clearance
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:18:31 GMT
On 19/11/11 11:29, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Leo is correct, mentors don't do, they let you know how to do. So keep
> going, you are doing fine.
> On Nov 19, 2011 9:22 AM, "Leo Simons"<>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Andy Seaborne<>  wrote:
>>> We have software grants or recontributions for everything except one
>>> BSD-style item (suggested changes to ExtendedHandler in ARP, 2003, from
>>> PluggedIn Software - BSD is category-A - the licence and copyright is
>>> labelled in the code).
>> Excellent!
>>> We now need this recorded for:
>>> As I understand it the process is:
>>> 1/ Wrap up the code into a blob we can refer to.
>>>    Can this be a SVN sub-tree and revision?
>>>    Or does this have to be a blob in SVN?
>>>    I don't see a similar blob for other projects.
>>> 2/ We have a PPMC VOTE to include at least one mentor.
>>> 3/ A mentor updates the file that controls:
>> Hmm, where did you get that understanding? Did someone change the
>> process while I wasn't looking? :-)
>> My understanding is, once we all agree (under lazy consensus rules)

If no-one speaks up within three days, I'll assume lazy consensus and
update the project incubator page.

>> that we are in a good state, we simply update the status file (and I'd
>> actually prefer if a non-mentor does that, though if there's access
>> control issues, mweh), and that's it.

No problem - I will seek out (subject to the aforementioned) the file
that controls the "Copyright" section of i.a.o/projects/jena.html and
update it.

(we need to do this before the first release)

>> Then, as part of every commit and every release, we keep applying our
>> careful dance to ensure we keep a clear and clean IP record. The vote
>> that (also) asserts IP clearance is ok is the release vote -- i.e. the
>> release is the action of the PMC that is a committee of the ASF that
>> asserts "this is good for everyone to use (so also IP is clean as far
>> as we know).

Works for me ... thanks

View raw message