From Paolo Castagna <>
Subject Re: Jena (i.e. jena-core): ARQ isn't included in the distribution zip file
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:22:25 GMT
Hi Andy

Andy Seaborne wrote:
> On 17/11/11 00:57, Paolo Castagna wrote:
>> Paolo Castagna wrote:
>>> If we agree on this, I'll provide an initial version tomorrow (just
>>> let me know your preference for the name of the module).
>> Just to make things more explicit, here is an example (which is still
>> missing
>> a lot of things, but it has all the necessary jar files):
>> Paolo
> If we do this, we might as well drop the zips for the other packages.

I think it would be a good idea to drop the zip files and just have one
zip for the Apache Jena distribution (including: jena-core, jena-arq,
jena-tdb (why not?), jena-iri, jena-larq as well as all their transitive

This would reduce the cost of maintaining separate assembly files.

Also, I need to investigate the use of moduleSets in the assembly.xml
descriptor... it might be better if we want to aggregate sources (and/or
shell scripts, no idea if this is possible).

> And the testing assemblies are not very helpful.

I am not saying we do this, however an option is to put testing files
in the src/test/resources directory and let Maven include them in the
-test.jar. However, tests need to load files via classloader instead of
directly from the file system. Maybe this is something to aim in the
future if there is agreement. Certainly not now.

I see some value in allowing people to depend on the test suite of
a project, it's not something that happens often, but sometimes it's
useful to depend/extend/run existing tests from a different module.

> The only issue I see is time (but that looks OK) and risk (hard to tell).

Yep, I don't disagree.

Also, shell commands (from Jena, ARQ and TDB) probably should be moved on
a JenaDist module if we do that.

> A crude solution is ship the ARQ zip as "" but if
> there is time, then a distribution project is a step in the right
> direction.

I like this idea, it could be ARQ zip or indeed TDB zip (even better).
But, it would be good to have all the Jena, ARQ and TDB command line
in it.

Maybe we should do this as a first step and move the assembly part to
a JenaDist later when we do a second or subsequent release.

>     Andy

View raw message