From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: JIRA issues and "Fix Version/s"...
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 09:59:17 GMT
On 10/11/11 22:52, Leo Simons wrote:
>> What do you think?
> Lots of things.
> For open source projects I prefer to not set fix versions at all until
> an issue is actually fixed. When you do set it, match the version
> number to the actual number in the associated artifact(s) that users
> download, and nothing else. That way, the jira release notes are
> accurate.

> Similarly, I don't think due date is useful in our context.
> Jira is great for project planning and scheduling and tracking
> commercial software delivery. But for community open source projects,
> it is better not to measure or promise or schedule as precisely as you
> do in the commercial environment. The dynamic is different.
> My advice would be not to focus too much on capturing intentions and
> roadmaps and long-term plans in jira or in documentation. Discuss
> plans on the mailing list, make sure you have consensus on the general
> direction and goals, and then everybody works towards those goals as
> they have time and energy available. Don't publish long term schedules
> out to your user community, only announce things when they are
> actually implemented.

Actions speak louder than words.

> If you do want to do some kind of scheduling/metrics using jira,
> there's a bunch of stuff you can look at beyond the roadmap. I'd
> suggest an important one would be average age and resolution time of
> bugs (and only bugs), and another one is average age and resolution
> time for issues that have a patch submission, but that one is a bit
> harder to do a report on.
> In other words, do things pretty much like jena has always done
> them...but hey, you asked

I see no point setting expectations (e.g. saying when things will be
done) without a mechanism to reflect costs and trade-offs.All that
happens is that there will be a growing pile of guilt.  At which point
either release get pushed out or expectations are not met.  Both are bad.

View raw message