From Paolo Castagna <>
Subject Re: JIRA issues and "Fix Version/s"...
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 19:29:34 GMT
Hi Andy

Andy Seaborne wrote:
> Paolo,
> Setting the version to something unrelated to the component is confusing
> and mis-communicates.
> 1/ It's not the components version number

Good point, let's try with "component + version number".

An issue can be said to "fix" 0, 1 or more "component + versions":

> 2/ Is it your opinion or are you making a personal commitment?

See "Assignee" field for that.

... and depending to bandwidth people can pick up what they are happy to
work on. I tend to assign things to me when I have time to work on them
not to preempt or limit others to work on it.

If I am not sure I'll have time, but I did something about an issue I tend
to post a comment with my findings/suggestions or submit a patch which I
might pick up at a later point in time or someone else might pick up if
that is useful. Two example of this:

In other situations (i.e. more long term JIRA issues) I assign them to me
to signal others my commitment and see if others are interested on that
(and, perhaps, want to help out or provide their point of view).

Assignee also might change during the life time of an issue.

> 3/ Components are not fixed to the Jena core release cycle

> I can't speak for anyone else but I fully expect, and will contrinute
> to, releases of components more frequently than Jena core, in the same
> way as before.
>     Andy

View raw message