From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: Git mirrors for Jena projects
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 11:36:29 GMT
On 08/11/11 07:17, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 7 November 2011 15:33, Damian Steer<>  wrote:
>>> Minor point -- external contributors need to be aware they can't push contributions
(something for the "getting involved" page?)
>> The apache page [1] Alex mentioned is pretty good. For people using github we ought
to mention that we won't respond to pull requests.
> The use of Git in ASF projects is something that is still being
> explored. There are significant potential issues with respect to
> community development where Git is employed.
> However, the project needs to be very careful. Git should not be seen
> as an alternative to bringing committers into the project. The goal is
> to get people working directly on the code as a core part of the
> project. Git is often used to facilitate people working in isolation
> of the broader community.
> That being said, Git does provide some advantages. Go ahead and
> request the mirrors, but don't allow Git workflows to become a
> replacement for bringing people into the project at the earliest
> sensible opportunity.

Thanks for the perspective - svn remains primary.  We would need to be
aware that patches still need to be from the submitter themselves, and
not passed on by rolling up downstream git pushes.

The thing I like about git is the ability to do lots of small commits,
with their own comments, and roll them up into one collection of changes.

It is an alternative and light-weight route to people wanting the code,
who are already used to git and don't use svn much.

>> [1]<>

View raw message