From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: What are the JIRA issues to fix before a release?
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 17:52:10 GMT
On 04/11/11 17:11, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm just taking a first look at Apache Jena (incubating) after a nice link
> that Rob Weir provided on the Apache ODF Toolkit podling list.
> I must say, I have serious podling envy for your site and the pleasant way you
> invite users and contributors.  I am inspired to use that as my model for what
> a good open-source project site can be.  The (sub-) project code organization
> on SVN is one I already fancy.

> One question.
> I gather that you have not done your first release as a podling.  I am curious
> about one thing: Looking over the SVN that I have managed to check out, it
> does not appear that IP Clearance has been done.
> Is that correct or have I missed it?  (I assume there is no statement to be
> made about encryption and such, so it is just the IP clearance/cleanup that is
> essential prior to your first incubating release?)

This is the module jena/Jena2/jena?

There is a magic script that rewrites the head and tail /** */ comments
(in JenaTop) to Apache form.

Of the code we might release first time, only jena itself has not been
converted - there is two outstanding things to chase down and I've not
run the conversion script on that module.  It reminds me at least there
is still something to check on.

The outstanding items are BSD-style and so not a block to release. I've
written twice to TopQuadrant about them now and am still awaiting any reply.

I don't know the status is the Eyeball module.  It's a separate
standalone tool.  We can release that separately.

So the bottom line on code cleaning is we can run the script anytime and
then finalize NOTICE and LICENSE files.

Is that what you meant?

We have nothing special for encryption [*], the nearest we get is
standard Java library use of SHA*.  We should register on

[*] project - SPARQL will not require SHA224 so no need to add a Bouncy
Castle dependent jar.

>   - Dennis E. Hamilton
>     tools for document interoperability,<>
>  gsm: +1-206-779-9430  @orcmid