From Damian Steer <>
Subject Re: XMLInputFactory#newFactory not available in OpenJDK 1.6
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 16:34:56 GMT

On 01/11/11 15:42, Dave Reynolds wrote:

> Going entirely by the JavaDoc page you pointed at then the
> newInstance/2 method has been deprecated in favour of newFactory/2
> with the comment:
> "Deprecated. This method has been deprecated to maintain API
> consistency. All newInstance methods have been replaced with
> corresponding newFactory methods. The replacement
> newFactory(java.lang.String, java.lang.ClassLoader) method defines
> no changes in behavior."
> That bit about *all* newInstance methods have been been replaced
> suggests to me that newFactory/0 is the intended replacement for
> newInstance/0, has the same semantics, but for some reason
> newInstance/0 hasn't been deprecated yet, maybe an oversight.
> If so that would suggest the current code is correct.

Concur that current code is correct, and IBM jdk 6 is broken. However
I've changed it to newInstance for the moment, on the grounds that
they've merely threatened deprecation ;-) [1]

[1] Not deprecated in SE 7 either, so it may never be touched.
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

View raw message