From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject Interest in JENA/RDF (was RE: Versioned/Historical Documentation ...)
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:26:17 GMT
I am on the PPMC of the Apache project.  I also pay attention to the ODF Toolkit

My interest in Jena is generic, as is that of some colleagues who are interested in semantic
markup notions.  And I am a neophyte around RDF.  The books I have read so far (one for a
course) I found to be junk with regard to how RDF was handled and worse with respect to the
semantic web.  I have some that I have not read (including Shelly Powers' book) that it would
be good to attempt.  I do need to finally cough up a few bucks and get a copy of "Semantic
Web for the Working Ontologist", recommended to me by other inquisitive folk.

Also, I am on the OASIS Open Document Format (ODF) Technical Committee.

As you have noticed already, the ODF Toolkit project is working toward implementing the RDF
support that there is in ODF.  Some ODF processors are incorporating support for RDF in various
ways.  It has been demonstrated in mobile implementations of ODF viewers.

ODF has a compound package structure based on the use of Zip as a container.  (There is also
a single XML file mapping of the format, but most of the RDF provisions are incompatible with
that case.)

RDF shows up in the ODF 1.2 format in four ways:

 1. The package specification (part 3) includes provisions for RDF files being incorporated
in a package.  There is also a specific package file, a manifest.rdf file that has some vaguely-defined
usage.  It is always RDF/XML.  There is an OWL ontology that can be used in that file (or
anywhere, for that matter).  It is described as providing a manifest of other RDF files in
the package, but that may not be exactly right.  It appears to be a manifest of where there
is RDF in other files (not necessarily RDF files) in the package.  Maybe both.  I must figure
that out some day.

 2. The main document specification (part 1) adds an additional OWL definition that can be
used to have more-refined material in RDF that have subjects and resources in the XML files
that are part of the ODF document.

 3. RDFa notions have been adapted for use within the XML element that carries the main content
for an ODF document.  These usages are governed by the RNG grammar and they may be incomplete.
 (Why RDFa when the content element is XML and <rdf:RDF> is embeddable as an extension
anyhow is a legitimate question for which I have no answer whatsoever.)

 4. There is a presumed use of GRDDL (a single attribute in the root-element XML tag of the
ODF document) for somehow extracting all of the RDF and non-RDF metadata embedded in the content

I shall refrain from expressing a strong opinion about this, but if you were to suggest it
is not good work, I would not flinch.

So another reason for my interest in Jena is to find specimens of good work and a basis for
good tools that make sense out of whatever it is that has been enabled by the ODF specification
having a check-mark in the RDF-supported? box.

Finally, I am unaware of any way that an ODF 1.2 document containing RDF can be converted
to a Microsoft Office document and somehow carry the RDF over.  Furthermore, I would be absolutely
amazed were Microsoft's own support for the ODF format to do anything but ignore all RDF material
in an ODF document and ever preserve/produce any of it.  I find that inconceivable based on
how difficult it would be to make an interoperable implementation based on what there is in
the ODF 1.2 specification.  Another reason to understand Jena, I think.

 - Dennis