From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Request to volunteer to update documentation
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 23:44:37 GMT
The mdtext is usually MarkDown notation.  You can find a description on the Internet.  Think
of it as a kind of wikiText for web sites.

Apache has a home-grown CMS that uses SVN as a publication and version control device.  (It
is called Apache CMS but there is no such project -- it is homebrew with ASF Infrastructure

What I now describe is assuming that is the publication process for Jena:

Buildbots move check-ins to a staging web site for review and from there to the public site
location on a LAMP server.

Andy and company can tell you the mapping between the SVN locations and the final server URLs.
 You should compare the SVN of markup with some known pages to see what is authored (in the
content subtree) and what is provided by styling and templating.

 - Dennis

PS: When you make edits to a working copy (assuming you are not creating new pages), the SVN
software has a way to derive a diff (a patch) between what you have in your working copy and
the latest version on the server. That is what you submit as a patch, usually inline in an
e-mail or as an attachment.

-----Original Message-----
From: George Vamos []
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 14:17
Subject: Re: Request to volunteer to update documentation

Hi Andy:

Thanks for the reply.

1. I downloaded the svn tree you mentioned, and see a lot of ".mdtext" files.  Is there a
tutorial for this format? Is there a tool to convert ".mdtext" to HTML?  In general, do you
guys have a "standard" tooling setup?

2. Should I add documentation issues to Jira, or should I describe the issue at the top of
the email, and your committers would add an issue with the patch if they consider it valid?
 (As an aside, I would be happy to write a "howto" for the basic process if it is explained
to me.)

3. You seem to be the main driver in the project, so I am flattered with your reply.  On the
other hand, is there someone who could mentor me a bit (you, or someone else, hopefully not
take too much time) so I can come up to speed, without cluttering up your main mailing list.
 Additionally, I would like to discuss offline where new pages (reading lists, howtos, mini-tutorials)
 would best be added, so it stays consistent with whatever documentation architecture you
guys want to maintain.

4. If you wish, I can just make patches and send them in (once I figure out the workings of
the ".mdtext") but I think I could do a better job if I establish a 1-to-1 connection with
someone in your group.  If you cannot designate a person, of course I can still send patches,
but I the results would not be as good.

Thanks in advance;

--George Vamos