From Paolo Castagna <>
Subject Re: Jena and PostGIS (à la LARQ)
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2011 23:38:14 GMT

I found Apache SIS (Spatial Information System):

 "There exist a number of libraries, and frameworks written in Java, C/C++,
  and other P/Ls that deal with the aforementioned issues, however the one
  consistent homogeneity is that most of these software do not include
  ASF-friendly licensing. On the contrary, most of these software systems
  and tools are LGPL licensed, as their use is primarily to produce GIS
  software, which is then sold for a profit. What's more, even the standards
  organization the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) promotes the use of LGPL
  SIS/GIS software to implements its interfaces and specifications, leaving
  those interested in a more ASL-friendly solution with a major hole to fill,
  or having to deal with the license implications of leveraging LGPL open
  source software in their applications."

 "At the moment, we will build Apache SIS so that is has no external
  dependencies, and is self contained. If we do require common dependencies,
  such as libraries for computation, or for storage/persistence, we will
  ensure that they leverage an ASL or compatible license. For example, to
  support persistence, we may leverage other libraries (e.g., Derby, K/V
  stores, etc.), and in these cases, we will focus on those libraries with
  a compatible license."

Source code is here:

It uses Quadtree (as an in-memory data structure :-():

On 13 September 2011 12:42, Alexander Dutton
<> wrote:
> Hi all,
> We've currently got a lot of (simple) geospatial data in
> <> (served behind the scenes by Fuseki).
> We'd like to do some geospatial indexing magic, and were wondering
> about writing something a bit like LARQ that will pull out things like
> geo:Points and WKT literals, place them in a PostGIS-flavoured DB, and
> then implements something like GeoSPARQL (<>).
> Has anyone started doing this or something similar? I'm happy to give
> it a go and I'm sure my employer would be happy to contribute it back
> to Jena and the ASF. My plan was to go through the LARQ codebase to
> work out how it hooks itself in, and use that as a model.
> Yours,
> Alex
> - --
> Alexander Dutton
> Metamorphoses Project Developer, Claros
> Oxford University Computing Services, ℡ 01865 (6)13483
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora -
> 38oAnR5n+oi1nuTZAfRdOrF2mcOac2Ck
> =r1dj