From Ian Dickinson <>
Subject Re: Jena 2.6.4 sources
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2011 20:14:02 GMT
On 08/10/11 14:44, Dave wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 22:22 +0100, Paolo wrote:
>> Wouldn't be easier to provide a JenaHelloWorld example for people to
>> checkout/download.
>> Then the tutorial becomes:
>> svn co
>> jena-example
>> or download from somewhere
>> Eclipse>  Import>  Existing Project into Worskspace
> No it doesn't.
> The value of that tutorial is that it helps set up Jena for use in your
> Eclipse. So setting up Jena as a User Library, understanding how to
> create a project etc are important. Just downloading a prebuilt project
> wouldn't cut it.
>> I find tutorials with a lot of screen shots annoying if they have too
>> many screen shots. (And they are expensive to maintain for the editor)
>> If there is a short-cut, I prefer that than a long sequence of press
>> button here and there.
> With respect, you are not the target audience!

Paolo - I wrote that article in response to a series of requests
privately and on jena-dev for some "how on earth do I get started?"
requests from very inexperienced users. It is, by at least an order of
magnitude, the most popular item on my blob & website combined.

I actually think we need a lot more hand-holding getting started
material. I'm actually quite keen to write some, just lack time atm!

Ian Dickinson                   Epimorphics Ltd, Bristol, UK
cell: +44-7786-850536              landline: +44-1275-399069
Epimorphics Ltd.  is a limited company registered in England
(no. 7016688). Registered address: Court Lodge, 105 High St,
               Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT, UK

View raw message