From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: Jena 2.6.4 sources
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2011 17:09:27 GMT
On 08/10/11 16:09, Paolo Castagna wrote:
> Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> This applies to the other systems - the ones where I wrote the assembly
>> have the sources as jar at the top level including the test sources code.
>> I'm not sure that is a good thing - if we're shipping the sources, we
>> might as well ship them unpacked.
>> The test sources code is more confusing than helpful.
>> So:
>> 1/ At least make them more obvious
>>     Is placing at the top level enough?
>> 2/ Pros and cons of shipping the unpacked tree instead.
> What other (or the majority) of Apache Java projects do?

Not all Apache Java projects have the same audiences or user base.

> That is probably what the majority of people (used to Apache projects)
> would expect. Not surprising users/developers is a way to avoid them
> asking for help. :-)

This is not an alternative - this is an "as well as".  I think we should
deliver to as wide range of users as we can, and where someone wants to
do the process setup, and not focus on just one category at the
exclusion of others.

Setting up all the dev tools on Windows is not exactly trivial.

We have talked about having delivery as jar, as OGSi, as zip; and we
have the assembly for the zip.

> Paolo
>> I see the download zip as for standalone use with minimal hassle.  Not
>> everyone is a fully-skilled developer with familiarity of all the tools.
>>      Andy

View raw message