From "Stephen Allen" <>
Subject Stanford Class - Introduction to Databases
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:12:17 GMT

I thought people might be interested in an online class Stanford is offering
called "Introduction to Databases".  It is taught by Jennifer Widom, who is
one of the coauthors of one of the best database books I've read [1].

Because SPARQL is based on relational algebra, I found the book to be
extremely valuable in understanding how a SPARQL query engine works
(especially query optimization).  A lot of the other topics are also very
relevant to work on Jena: physical data storage, costs for different join
algorithms, and transactions.

I am signed up for the course (which starts next Monday).  If people were
interested, I thought we could discuss some of the topics during the
semester on or off this list.

View raw message