From Benson Margulies <>
Subject Re: Build experiments -- help wanted
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 19:48:30 GMT
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Andy Seaborne <> wrote:
> Maven/eclipse experts,
> I have tried setting up a multi-module project ... some questions ...
> 1/ Flat vs hierarchical directories.
> Hierarchical is maven preference and m2eclispe generates them but isn't this
> a problem with SVN?  if the parent is checked out, all the modules get
> checked out.  Isn't that a bit of a pain?
> Do any tools break with (1) Hierarchical (2) flat modes?

A typical Apache project is set up as one or more 'subprojects'. Each
subproject is an arbitrarily deep collection of directories, with poms
in each, with <modules/> elements to aggregate.

Any given developer expects to check out all or none of a
'subproject'. If two things are big enough or distinct enough that you
don't want to check them out all together, let alone release them
together, you don't make an aggregating project that combines them.

There is no problem I've ever seen with multiple levels of subdirectory.

> What is the real-world practical experience here? (not the theory)
> 2/ Using the Apache standard project as parent, I'm getting a warning:
> maven-remote-resources-plugin (goal "process") is ignored by m2e.
> Warnings are bad - they need to be checked to make sure they are benign on
> every release and risk hiding warnings that do matter.  Jena is too big to
> have some 'acceptable' warnings.
> Can this be turned off somehow? I can't see anything but there are lots of
> places it might be.

m2e is very problematic. It is very ambitious and notably incomplete.
Some people are sticking to the maven-eclipse-plugin, some people are
switching to intellij, and some people are choosing to live with it as
it is.

>        Andy

View raw message