From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: Escape velocity
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:30:08 GMT

On 12/09/11 11:00, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 12 September 2011 09:24, Paolo Castagna
> <>  wrote:
>> In relation to releases:
>> Maybe one way to speed up things would be to separate the "doing an Apache
>> release" from "restructuring Jena modules". If we want to do the two at the
>> same time, in one shot. It will necessarily take more time.
>> My concern is that cutting Apache release is something new we all need to
>> learn and the best way to learn this IMHO is just doing it and quickly repair
>> to any of mistakes we might do with minor bug fix releases.
>> Another difficulty is the fact that we have modules with different version
>> numbers and different life-cycles (or speeds). I do not know how this is best
>> managed in other Apache projects.
> For the benefit of the archives this is being discussed elsewhere on
> the list (e.g. [1] and [2]).
> Ross
> [1]
> [2]

We have some significant new functionality available now and I'd like to
put in the users' hands.  Fortunately, my day-job would also benefit
from some proper releases with versions numbers.

The current issues are:

1/ Sorting out the last of the copyrights.

I've been sorting out mime recently.

I think we can document contributions (under BSD) now and release from
the current codebase.

2/ Tweaking the assemblies to put in the Apache files, which is just XML

3/ Mass source code license change - the conversion script (in ARQ as
I've been starting there) does a reasonable job so the only reason for
not running it is it removes the previous record of contributors in a
few places.

4/ Anything else.

View raw message